The U.S. Government—through President James Monroe—deeded part of the land that later became Morton Place to Samuel Henderson.
Area later known as ‘Morton Place’ (19th to 22nd , Talbott to Central) owned by Samuel Henderson, first mayor of Indianapolis. The area had black walnut and oak trees. The area was a favorite place for family picnics.
Possession of the same area taken by the State Board of Agriculture for State Fairgrounds.
April 17, 1861
The first troops of volunteering Union Soldiers arrived at “Camp Morton”
An estimated 7,000 men encamped at Camp Morton
Camp Morton taken over by the Federal Government for use as a prison camp. Camp Morton was the third largest of eight camps, where non-commissioned officers and privates were sent. 3,700 prisoners were quartered here.
September 27-October 2, 1869
17th State Fair
October 2-7, 1871
19th State Fair
September 10 – October 10, 1873
21st Annual Exhibition and State Fair. Introduction of the Exposition Building at 19th and Alabama Streets, designed by Edwin May, architect of the Indiana State Capitol Building.
September 7, 1874
Continuing for 30 days- 22nd State Fair
September 25- October 18, 1876
24th State Fair
September 30 – October 5, 1878
26th State Fair
Talbott Avenue first appears in City Directory, located “from Seventh (16th) to Exposition grounds (19th) first east of Penn.”
September 17 – 22, 1888
September 22 – 27 1890
December 23, 1891
The Board of Public works approved the plat of Morton Place—from 19th to 22nd, both sides of Delaware, Alabama and New Jersey streets and the west side of Central Avenue.
According to the Sanborn map, Morton Place had 37 residences on Delaware Street, 47 on Alabama Street, 39 on New Jersey Street and 19 on Central Avenue.
January 12, 1900
The Board of Directors of the Indianapolis Art Association votes to purchase the “Talbott property” on Sixteenth Street between Pennsylvania and Talbott Avenue.
March 4, 1902
Reception and first view of the John Herron Art Institute
November 21, 1905
Cornerstone of the new main Herron building—designed by Vonnegut & Bohn—is placed
Herron Art School classes start their 5th year in the little studio adjoining the nearly completed main structure
May 31, 1916
Teachers and pupils of School 45 unveil a stone, erected in honor of Camp Morton in the esplanade at 19th and Alabama
March 12, 1925
Announcement made regarding the widening of Delaware Street and removal of the esplanade in Morton Place
Theater introduced at 1847 N. Alabama Street
Classroom/studio building added to Herron campus (north of the main building) dedicated by Evans Woollen
16th Street widened from Delaware Street to Central Avenue
August 20, 1951
Pennsylvania and Delaware Streets became one-way streets
The Fesler Hall building added to Herron campus, designed by Evans Woolen, III
The 15th annual ‘Talbot Street Art Fair’ moves into the Herron-Morton Place neighborhood
Herron Morton Place Association founded
Kathy Schouten introduces the Herron-Morton neighborhood newsletter
Herron-Morton Place listed on the Register of Historic Places
Herron Morton Place becomes a Historic Conservation District
Indianapolis Star announces a $1.5 million price tag for former Herron campus.
50th Anniversary of ‘Talbot Street Art Fair’